5 Tips to Turn Awkward Moments Into Memorable Advantages

Have you ever been in a situation that made you feel awkward? Sure! All of us have had that moment in our life where we wished we could run, hide, or disappear. Maybe, it's your first date, and you realize the person is not for you, and you are waiting for the right moment to end the date from hell. Maybe, it's a contract negotiation where you have made an offer, and you are sitting in silence waiting for the other person to blink, cough, sneeze, or do something to break the silence. I think you get the point.

While attending the NSA Winter Conference, I was faced with an unexpected awkward moment in front of 200-300 professional speakers, consultants, authors, meeting planners and those aspiring to be speakers. This happened in Las Vegas.

Keep in mind, this was my first time attending and no one knew me. That evening after the general session, the conference host introduced the talent for the evening. It was a combination of comedy and terrific juggling.

So, here I am, sitting near the front of the stage, when the performer, Jeff asked for two strong men to help him on stage. One guy runs and jumped on the stage, and I politely raised my hand. I was somewhat shocked that Jeff chose me, being seated in the second row.

After introducing ourselves, he asked me to put my right foot in front of a large unicycle and to make sure the unicycle did not roll off the stage. No problem, pretty simple instructions, I thought! While Jeff climbs onto the unicycle, he puts his butt smack in my face for what seems like an eternity. If that wasn't bad, he turns around and his crouch is in my face and the audience is going crazy with laughter.

The kicker is that Jeff clenches his legs around my neck and pulls my head further into his crouch area. Remember, my foot is in front of the unicycle so it won't roll off the stage, and my hands are gripping the middle to stabilize the bike. Eventually, he gets on the unicycle, thanks me and the other gentlemen for helping and begins his amazing juggling act. Returning to my seat, people were patting me on the back and saying, "Wow, you handled that awkward moment well."

After the show, people came up to me and began asking, 'How did you handle such an awkward moment with dignity and professionalism?" My answer. " I use SMACK." Now, some of you may be thinking about violence or the street name for heroin. No! The five-point strategy I used to turn this awkward moment into a memorable advantage are listed below:

  • ·        Survey your situation to determine options
  • ·        Make a decision based on relevant information
  • ·        Act on your decision without wavering
  • ·        Choose to stay in the moment
  • ·        Keep calm and don't panic


Survey your situation to determine options. When faced with awkward moments take a survey or inventory of your options to gain a new perspective of the situation. Make a decision based on relevant information. Too often, we make decisions based on emotions and not having all of the information; in awkward moments, ask yourself, "what can I learn from this or how can I use this in my favor?"

Act on your decision. When you make a decision, comment to it, and don't allow your mind to vacillate back and forth.

Choose to stay in the moment. The hardest part of dealing with awkward moments are learning to remain in the moment. In other words, make each moment count in your favor.

When I was standing there, I was thinking, how can I turn this into a memorable moment? My decision was to laugh and keep it light. It broke the ice and gave people an opportunity to meet the guy who could have been simply the "butt" of every joke!

Keep calm and don't panic. Learning to control your mind and body takes time. It is natural for us to react to adverse and painful events with fear and worry.

The key is breathing. Yes, that simple. When we panic, we breathe in our upper lungs (upper chest) instead of breathing into our lower lungs (lower chest). This upper chest breathing contributes to hyperventilation. The key is slow deep breathing.

By following these five tips, you will be able to a turn any awkward moment into a memorable advantage. By the end of the conference, majority of the attendees knew my name and my reaction created a buzz.

In the end, I had fun and met some fantastic people. So, the next time you are faced with an awkward moment, its okay to S.M.A.C.K., them.

As always, I welcome your comments, suggestions, and ideas. Visit us at Lyman Montgomery Business Success Network. You can also purchase my best-selling book, Shattered Masks: 7 Masks We Wear.

To learn more about how we can help you remove distractions, increase your productivity and turn priorities into profits, visit us at http://www.getfocustoday.com If you prefer, call us at 1-877-275-3039.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Felopio™ Blocked Fallopian Tubes Treatment | Herbs to Unblock Fallopian Tubes

I really miss those days when

How Thailand Is Moving Toward a Digital-First Economy